About Us > Faculty & Staff > Faculty > Sara Brenner
Assistant Vice President for NanoHealth Initiatives; Assistant Professor of Nanobioscience
Dr. Brenner Discusses Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety at CNSE
Dr. Brenner hosts National Pi Day celebration at CNSE for high school students
Watch Dr. Brenner discuss nanotechnology and the Olympic Winter Games at NanOlympics 2013
Dr. Brenner receives Women of Excellence Award 2012 by the Albany-Colonie Chamber of Commerce
Read the Hospitals & Health Networks article, "Itty-Bitty Medicine," featuring Dr. Brenner
Read Dr. Brenner's article in Medgadget, "Safeguarding the Promise of Nanotechnology"
Watch Dr. Brenner on YNN's story on 100 NanoHealth jobs coming to region as industry grows
Read the New Haven Independent article, "She’s Sussing Nano-Safety From The Inside," featuring Dr. Brenner
SUNY Health Affairs - Dr. Brenner discusses the role of SUNY in improving health and wellness in New York
Daily Gazette Nanotech Internship offers students hands-on lessons 8.19.10
Listen to Dr. Brenner discuss how nanotechnology is influencing medical research on WAMC's Academic Minute
Watch Dr. Brenner's television interview with WNYT's Benita Zahn
Read Dr. Brenner's Nanotechnology Now web site article: Nano Meets Medicine and Public Health
Read Dr. Brenner's Alumni Interview on the University of Iowa's Medicine Alumni Society webpage
Watch Dr. Brenner's interview on nanomedicine with Senator Kemp Hannon on "Health Matters"
Watch Dr. Brenner in the community during National NanoDays 2012
- M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- M.P.H. (Master of Public Health) UAlbany School of Public Health
- B.S. (Genetics; Philosophy) Iowa State University of Science & Engineering
- Preventive Medicine, New York State General Preventive Medicine Residency
- Internal Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
Areas of Research:
- Biomedical nanotechnology
- Preventive medicine & public health
- Occupational health & safety
- Environmental health
Research Website: https://sunypoly.edu/research/team-brenner/
Dr. Brenner's research and initiatives aim to develop novel nanotechnology applications in the life sciences, including medicine and public health. She is also leading health and safety research initiatives related to nanoparticle and nanomaterial exposures in the workplace, consumer marketplace, and environment. Dr. Brenner is addressing gaps in our understanding of the safety and risk associated with the unique characteristics of nanoscale materials by incorporating theory from many disciplines such as physics, engineering, biology, genetics, medicine, public health, epidemiology, and environmental science. As part of these efforts, she is advancing risk assessment and reduction strategies for occupational exposures, monitoring of materials that may impact population health and public safety, and the development of industrial practice standards for product safety. Dr. Brenner is working proactively with collaborators and partners to develop monitoring and surveillance techniques to assess the environmental and ecological impact as well as the biopersistence of engineered nanomaterials in the Capital District. Her team is building a framework to employ custom-tailored strategies to mitigate potential risks associated with nanotechnology-based products that are currently on the market as well as those under development.
Honors & Awards:
- Albany-Colonie Chamber of Commerce Women of Excellence Award 2012 (Emerging Professional)
- American College of Preventive Medicine Don Gemson Resident Award
- A. Zamin Rizavi, MD Internal Medicine Award
- University of Iowa Hancher-Finkbine Medallion
- American Medical Association Foundation Leadership Award
- NIH Fellow, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
- American College of Preventive Medicine Future Leaders in Preventive Medicine Award
- Global Entrepreneurs Conference Grant Recipient
- Karolinska Institute Academic Exchange
- University of Sydney Independent Exchange
- Brenner, S. (Editor/Author). The Clinical Nanomedicine Handbook. (2013). CRC Press: Taylor & Francis.
- M.N. Shepard, S. Brenner. An occupational exposure assessment for engineered nanoparticles used in semiconductor fabrication. (2013). Annals of Occupational Hygiene. 58(2): 251-265.
- M. Shepard, S. Brenner. Nanoparticle exposure assessment during chemical mechanical planarization (CMP) operation and maintenance. (2013). SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015180A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- S.A. Brenner, J.F. Ling. Nanotechnology applications in orthopedic surgery. (2012). ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine. 3(2): 5 pages.
- A.R. Nasir, S.A. Brenner. Think small: nanotechnology for plastic surgeons. (2012). Annals of Plastic Surgery. 69(5): 580-587.
- B. Alam, M. Shepard, H. Morgan, S. Brenner. Fundamental investigation of semiconductor nanoparticle health and safety. (2012). SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015179A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- M. Shepard, G. Roth, H. Morgan, S. Brenner. Nanoparticle exposure assessment during chemical mechanical planarization (CMP) operation and maintenance. (2012). SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015180A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- G. Roth, H. Morgan, S. Brenner. Identification and determination of fate of SiO2 nanoparticles during conventional wastewater treatment. (2012). SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015181A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Asssessments.
- L.V. Stebounova, H. Morgan, V.H. Grassian, S. Brenner. Occupational health and safety implications of exposure to engineered nanomaterials. (2011). WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology. 4: 310-321.
- J. Marchesano, S. Brenner. Nanotechnology in biology: understanding future ethical dilemmas from past technologies. (2010). Ethics in Biology, Engineering and Medicine. 1(4): 247-258.
- S. Brenner, M. Pautler. Nanotechnology applications in vascular disease. (2010). ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine. 1(4): 5 pages
- M. Pautler, S. Brenner. Nanomedicine: promises and challenges for the future of public health. (2010). International Journal of Nanomedicine. 5: 803-809.
- S. Brenner. Colorectal cancer. (2010). Focus on Female Cancers Resource Guide. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, District II/NY.
- S. Brenner. Cancer survivorship: cancer types. (2009). Focus on Female Cancers Resource Guide. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, District II/NY.
- S. Brenner. Clinical and public health genomics: informing prevention and population medicine. (2009). Medscape Perspectives in Prevention.
- C. Parker, S. Brenner. Health effects of global climate change: how health professionals can be part of the solution. (2009). Medscape Perspectives in Prevention.
- A.E. Kaloyeros, B. Alperson, R. Brilla, R. Geer, S. Brenner, P. Haldar, E.M. Cupoli. How nanoscale is revolutionizing technology and business. (2009). Semiconductor International.
- S. Brenner. Recent Research, Medical Column. (Spring 2008, Summer 2008, Fall 2008, Winter 2008, Spring 2009). Capital Region Action Against Breast Cancer Quarterly Newsletter.
- S.A. Brenner. Policy and advocacy solutions to public health and health system challenges. (2008). Medscape Public Health & Prevention.
Community Outreach & Public Engagement Activities:
- Biomedical Engineering Seminar, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 12/13
- Natural Science Colloquium, College of Saint Rose, Albany, NY 9/13
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Albany, NY (Keynote) 9/13
- PerkinElmer INtour, SUNY CNSE, Albany, NY 5/13
- Capital Region Medical Decision Making Group (CRMDMG), Albany, NY 5/13
- ToGetHerThere Girl Scouts of Northeastern New York, Panelist, Albany, NY 3/13
- Girls, Inc. Summit, Malta, NY (Keynote) 12/12
- Safety & Health Council of the Hudson Valley, Saugerties, NY (Keynote) 10/12
- New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists Technology Transfer Conference, Iselin, NJ 10/12
- Johns Hopkins NIOSH Education and Research Center, Baltimore, MD 10/12
- Empire State Public Health Training Center Occupational Health Conference, Albany, NY 9/12
- Governement Technology Conference (GTC) East, Albany, NY 9/12
- OASIS, Center for Excellence in Aging & Community Wellness, Albany, NY 5/12
- GeNEXT panelist, Albany Chamber of Commerce, Albany, NY 5/12
- Nanobiotechnology 2012, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 4/12
- Jacobi Medical Center Grand Rounds, Dept. Internal Medicine, Bronx, NY 4/12
- Semiconductor Environmental Safety & Health Association (SESHA) National Conference, San Jose, CA (Keynote) 4/12
- Jacobi Medical Center Grand Rounds, Bronx, NY 4/12
- Rotary Club of Schenectady, Schenectady, NY 3/12
- American Waste Management Association/American Industrial Hygiene Association (AWMA/AIHA)
- Technical Conference, Syracuse, NY 3/12
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Albany, NY 2/12
- Girls, Inc. Nano Summit, Albany, NY (Keynote) 12/11
- Semiconductor Environmental Safety & Health Association (SESHA) New York State Conference, Albany, NY 11/11
- Inter-city Infectious Disease Conference, Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY (Keynote) 11/11
- International Semiconductor Manufacturing Initiative (ISMI) Manufacturing Week Conference, Austin, TX 10/11
- American College of Healthcare Executives symposium, Verona, NY (Keynote) 10/11
- 5th International Symposium on Nanotechnology, Occupational & Environmental Health, Boston, MA 8/11
- Ethical, Legal and Societal Impacts of Nanotechnology Workshop, Stony Brook, NY 7/11
- Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine’s Distinguished Lecture, Chicago, IL 4/11
- Preventive Medicine 2011 (ACPM), San Antonio, TX 2/11
- American Society for Nanomedicine (ASNM), Potomac, MD 10/10
- Ellis Hospital Leadership Development Institute, Scotia, NY 9/10
- PerkinElmer 2011 Nano Symposium, Boston, MA 8/10
- Occupational Health Clinic Network, Albany, NY 6/10
- University of Rochester Medical Center Grand Rounds, Rochester, NY 4/10
- Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences 3/10
- NanoBio Symposium, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/10
- Preventive Medicine 2010 (ACPM), Washington, DC 2/10
- General Electric (GE) Health Care, Niskayuna, NY 1/10
- Capital Region Medical Decision Making Group (CRMDMG), Albany, NY 11/09
- Pfizer Medical Futures Forum (MFF), New York City, NY 3/09
- Preventive Medicine 2009 (ACPM), Los Angeles, CA 2/09
- Pi Day Celebration with Schalmont High School, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/14
- NANOlympics Event, NANOvember Series, CNSE, Albany, NY (Presenter) 11/13
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 8/13
- Girls, Inc. Eureka! Program, Nanomedicine Activities & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/13
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/13
- Girls in STEM, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, TECH-SMART facility, Malta, NY 4/13
- NanoDays at Trinity Alliance, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 4/13
- NYS Museum, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 4/13
- Doane Stuart School Visit to CNSE, Nanomedicine Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 2/13
- NYS Museum, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 12/12
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/12
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology (CMOST) NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 6/12
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/12
- NYS campaign commercial filming with Producer Spike Lee, Albany, NY 4/12
- DigiGirlz Day, UAlbany, Albany 3/12
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 2/12
- "Health Matters" live televised interview with Senator Kemp Hannon, Albany, NY 2/12
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/11
- Children’s Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, Albany, NY 7/11
- Tech Valley High School nanomedicine module, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/11
- Everyday Public Health: A Day in the Life panel, Rensselear, NY 4/11
- Bring our Future to Work Day, NYS Dept. of Labor, Troy, NY 4/11
- NanoDays 2011, New York State Museum, Albany, NY 4/11
- National Nanotechnology Days, Crossgates Mall Exhibit, Albany, NY 3/11
- Girl Scouts “Go Nano!” Program, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/11
- Nanomedicine Display at the New York State Museum, Albany, NY 12/10
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/10
- NANOvember Y Nano, NanoHealth & NanoMedicine Activity, Albany, NY 11/10
- MVP Health Care Back to School Expo "Welcome to NanoWorld", Albany, NY 9/10
- Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, Troy, NY 7/10, 8/10
- NanoCareer Day, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/10
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 4/10
- National Nanotechnology Days, Crossgates Mall Exhibit, Albany, NY 4/10
- NANOvember Lecture Series, Panelist Week 4, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09
- NANOvember Community Day, Booth/Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09
- NANOvember Lecture Series, Presenter Week 1, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09