About Us > Faculty & Staff > Faculty > Sara Brenner
Assistant Vice President for NanoHealth Initiatives; Assistant Professor of Nanobioscience
Dr. Brenner Discusses Occupational and Environmental Health and Safety at SUNY Poly CNSE
Dr. Brenner hosts National Pi Day celebration at CNSE for high school students
Watch Dr. Brenner discuss nanotechnology and the Olympic Winter Games at NanOlympics 2013
Dr. Brenner receives Women of Excellence Award 2012 by the Albany-Colonie Chamber of Commerce
Read the Hospitals & Health Networks article, "Itty-Bitty Medicine," featuring Dr. Brenner
Read Dr. Brenner's article in Medgadget, "Safeguarding the Promise of Nanotechnology"
Watch Dr. Brenner on YNN's story on 100 NanoHealth jobs coming to region as industry grows
Read the New Haven Independent article, "She’s Sussing Nano-Safety From The Inside," featuring Dr. Brenner
SUNY Health Affairs - Dr. Brenner discusses the role of SUNY in improving health and wellness in New York
Daily Gazette Nanotech Internship offers students hands-on lessons 8.19.10
Listen to Dr. Brenner discuss how nanotechnology is influencing medical research on WAMC's Academic Minute
Watch Dr. Brenner's television interview with WNYT's Benita Zahn
Read Dr. Brenner's Nanotechnology Now web site article: Nano Meets Medicine and Public Health
Read Dr. Brenner's Alumni Interview on the University of Iowa's Medicine Alumni Society webpage
Watch Dr. Brenner's interview on nanomedicine with Senator Kemp Hannon on "Health Matters"
Watch Dr. Brenner in the community during National NanoDays 2012
- M.D. (Doctor of Medicine) University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- M.P.H. (Master of Public Health) UAlbany School of Public Health
- B.S. (Genetics; Philosophy) Iowa State University of Science & Engineering
- Preventive Medicine, New York State General Preventive Medicine Residency
- Internal Medicine, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
Areas of Research:
- Biomedical nanotechnology
- Preventive medicine & public health
- Occupational health & safety
- Environmental health
Research Website: https://sunypoly.edu/research/team-brenner/
Dr. Brenner's research and initiatives aim to develop novel nanotechnology applications in the life sciences, including medicine and public health. She is also leading health and safety research initiatives related to nanoparticle and nanomaterial exposures in the workplace, consumer marketplace, and environment. Dr. Brenner is addressing gaps in our understanding of the safety and risk associated with the unique characteristics of nanoscale materials by incorporating theory from many disciplines such as physics, engineering, biology, genetics, medicine, public health, epidemiology, and environmental science. As part of these efforts, she is advancing risk assessment and reduction strategies for occupational exposures, monitoring of materials that may impact population health and public safety, and the development of industrial practice standards for product safety. Dr. Brenner is working proactively with collaborators and partners to develop monitoring and surveillance techniques to assess the environmental and ecological impact as well as the biopersistence of engineered nanomaterials in the Capital District. Her team is building a framework to employ custom-tailored strategies to mitigate potential risks associated with nanotechnology-based products that are currently on the market as well as those under development.
Honors & Awards:
- Albany-Colonie Chamber of Commerce Women of Excellence Award 2012 (Emerging Professional)
- American College of Preventive Medicine Don Gemson Resident Award
- A. Zamin Rizavi, MD Internal Medicine Award
- University of Iowa Hancher-Finkbine Medallion
- American Medical Association Foundation Leadership Award
- NIH Fellow, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia
- American College of Preventive Medicine Future Leaders in Preventive Medicine Award
- Global Entrepreneurs Conference Grant Recipient
- Karolinska Institute Academic Exchange
- University of Sydney Independent Exchange
- Roth GA, Sosa Pena MP, Neu-Baker NM, Tahiliani S, Brenner SA. Identification of metal oxide nanoparticles in histological samples by enhanced darkfield microscopy and hyperspectral mapping. Journal of Visualized Experiments. Accepted May 2015. Article in press.
- Roth GA, Neu-Baker NM, Brenner SA. Comparative characterization methods for nanoparticle abrasives. Journal of Chemical Health and Safety. Accepted February 2015. Article in press.
- Brenner SA, Neu-Baker NM, Caglayan C, Zurbenko IG. Occupational exposure to airborne nanomaterials: as assessment of worker exposure to aerosolized metal oxide nanoparticles in semiconductor wastewater treatment. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene. Accepted January 2015. Article in press.
- Roth GA, Tahiliani S, Neu-Baker NM, Brenner SA. Hyperspectral microscopy as an analytical tool for nanomaterials: advanced review. WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology 2015, 7(4):565-579.
- Roth GA, Neu-Baker NM, Brenner SA. SEM analysis of particle size during conventional treatment of CMP process wastewater. Science of the Total Environment 2015, 508:1-6.
- Brenner SA, Neu-Baker NM. Occupational exposure to nanomaterials: assessing the potential for cutaneous exposure to metal oxide nanoparticles in a semiconductor facility. Journal of Chemical Health and Safety. Available online 15 November 2014. Article in press.
- Shepard M, Brenner S. Cutaneous exposure scenarios for engineered nanoparticles used in semiconductor fabrication: a preliminary investigation of workplace surface contamination. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health 2014, 20(3):247-257.
- Shepard MN, Brenner S. An occupational exposure assessment for engineered nanoparticles used in semiconductor fabrication. Annals of Occupational Hygiene 2014, 58(2):251-265.
- Brenner S. (Editor/Author). The Clinical Nanomedicine Handbook: Current and Future Applications of Nanotechnology in Medicine and Public Health for Clinicians, Scientists, and Researchers. CRC Press, Taylor & Francis. Published December 2013.
- Shepard M, Brenner S, (2013). Nanoparticle Exposure Assessment During Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) Operation and Maintenance. SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015180A-ENG. ESHI006M - ESH - Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- Brenner SA, Ling JF. Nanotechnology applications in orthopedic surgery. ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine 2012, 3.
- Nasir AR, Brenner SA. Think small: nanotechnology for plastic surgeons. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2012, 69:580-587.
- Alam B, Shepard M, Morgan H, Brenner S, (January 2012). Fundamental Investigation of Semiconductor Nanoparticle Health and Safety. SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015179A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- Shepard M, Roth G, Morgan H, Brenner S, (January 2012). Nanoparticle Exposure Assessment During Chemical Mechanical Planarization (CMP) Operation and Maintenance. SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015180A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- Roth G, Morgan H, Brenner S, (January 2012). Identification and Determination of Fate of SiO2 Nanoparticles During Conventional Wastewater Treatment. SEMATECH-ISMI Tech Transfer Report ID 12015181A-ENG. ESHI006M – ESH – Advanced Technology & Assessments.
- Stebounova LV, Morgan H, Grassian VH, Brenner S. Health and safety implications of occupational exposure to engineered nanomaterials. WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology 2012, 4:310-321.
- Marchesano J, Brenner S. Nanotechnology in biology: understanding future ethical dilemmas from past technologies. Ethics in Biology, Engineering and Medicine 2010, 4:247-258.
- Brenner S, Pautler M. Nanotechnology applications in vascular disease. ASME Journal of Nanotechnology in Engineering and Medicine 2010.
- Pautler M, Brenner S. Nanomedicine: promises and challenges for the future of public health. International Journal of Nanomedicine 2010, 5:803-809.
- Brenner S. Colorectal cancer. Focus on Female Cancers Resource Guide. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, District II/NY. 2010.
- Brenner S, Siu K. Physician leadership in health policy & preventive medicine. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice 2009.
- Brenner S. Cancer Survivorship: Cancer types. Focus on Female Cancers Resource Guide. American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, District II/NY. 2009.
- Brenner S. Clinical and public health genomics: informing prevention and population medicine. Medscape Perspectives in Prevention 2009.
- Parker C, Brenner S. Health effects of global climate change: how health professionals can be part of the solution. Medscape Perspectives in Prevention 2009.
- Kaloyeros AE, Alperson B, Brilla R, Geer R, Brenner S, Haldar P, Cupoli EM. How nanoscale is revolutionizing technology and business. Semiconductor International 2009.
- Brenner S. (Spring 2008, Summer 2008, Fall 2008, Winter 2008, Spring 2009). Recent Research, Medical Column. Capital Region Action Against Breast Cancer Quarterly Newsletter.
- Brenner SA. Policy and advocacy solutions to public health and health system challenges. Medscape Public Health & Prevention 2008.
Community Outreach & Public Engagement Activities:
- CNSE CMOST Science Café, Albany, NY (Featured Speaker) 4/15
- Rochester Museum and Science Center, "Science on the Edge" Lecture Series, Rochester, NY (Featured Speaker) 4/14
- Buffalo NanoDay, Buffalo, NY (Featured Speaker) 4/14
- Women's Fund, CNSE, Albany, NY (Panelist) 3/14
- Biomedical Engineering Seminar, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY 12/13
- Natural Science Colloquium, College of Saint Rose, Albany, NY 9/13
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Albany, NY (Keynote) 9/13
- PerkinElmer INtour, SUNY CNSE, Albany, NY 5/13
- Capital Region Medical Decision Making Group (CRMDMG), Albany, NY 5/13
- ToGetHerThere Girl Scouts of Northeastern New York, Panelist, Albany, NY 3/13
- Girls, Inc. Summit, Malta, NY (Keynote) 12/12
- Safety & Health Council of the Hudson Valley, Saugerties, NY (Keynote) 10/12
- New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists Technology Transfer Conference, Iselin, NJ 10/12
- Johns Hopkins NIOSH Education and Research Center, Baltimore, MD 10/12
- Empire State Public Health Training Center Occupational Health Conference, Albany, NY 9/12
- Governement Technology Conference (GTC) East, Albany, NY 9/12
- OASIS, Center for Excellence in Aging & Community Wellness, Albany, NY 5/12
- GeNEXT panelist, Albany Chamber of Commerce, Albany, NY 5/12
- Nanobiotechnology 2012, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 4/12
- Jacobi Medical Center Grand Rounds, Dept. Internal Medicine, Bronx, NY 4/12
- Semiconductor Environmental Safety & Health Association (SESHA) National Conference, San Jose, CA (Keynote) 4/12
- Jacobi Medical Center Grand Rounds, Bronx, NY 4/12
- Rotary Club of Schenectady, Schenectady, NY 3/12
- American Waste Management Association/American Industrial Hygiene Association (AWMA/AIHA)
- Technical Conference, Syracuse, NY 3/12
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Albany, NY 2/12
- Girls, Inc. Nano Summit, Albany, NY (Keynote) 12/11
- Semiconductor Environmental Safety & Health Association (SESHA) New York State Conference, Albany, NY 11/11
- Inter-city Infectious Disease Conference, Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY (Keynote) 11/11
- International Semiconductor Manufacturing Initiative (ISMI) Manufacturing Week Conference, Austin, TX 10/11
- American College of Healthcare Executives symposium, Verona, NY (Keynote) 10/11
- 5th International Symposium on Nanotechnology, Occupational & Environmental Health, Boston, MA 8/11
- Ethical, Legal and Societal Impacts of Nanotechnology Workshop, Stony Brook, NY 7/11
- Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine’s Distinguished Lecture, Chicago, IL 4/11
- Preventive Medicine 2011 (ACPM), San Antonio, TX 2/11
- American Society for Nanomedicine (ASNM), Potomac, MD 10/10
- Ellis Hospital Leadership Development Institute, Scotia, NY 9/10
- PerkinElmer 2011 Nano Symposium, Boston, MA 8/10
- Occupational Health Clinic Network, Albany, NY 6/10
- University of Rochester Medical Center Grand Rounds, Rochester, NY 4/10
- Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences 3/10
- NanoBio Symposium, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/10
- Preventive Medicine 2010 (ACPM), Washington, DC 2/10
- General Electric (GE) Health Care, Niskayuna, NY 1/10
- Capital Region Medical Decision Making Group (CRMDMG), Albany, NY 11/09
- Pfizer Medical Futures Forum (MFF), New York City, NY 3/09
- Preventive Medicine 2009 (ACPM), Los Angeles, CA 2/09
- Girl Scouts NanoDiscovery Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/14
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/14
- Nano Career Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 10/14
- CNSE-SUNYIT Nanotechnology Camp, Utica, NY 7/14
- CNSE CMOST NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/14
- Girls, Inc. Eureka! Program, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/14
- Pi Day Celebration with Schalmont High School, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/14
- NANOlympics Event, NANOvember Series, CNSE, Albany, NY (Presenter) 11/13
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 8/13
- Girls, Inc. Eureka! Program, Nanomedicine Activities & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/13
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 7/13
- Girls in STEM, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, TECH-SMART facility, Malta, NY 4/13
- NanoDays at Trinity Alliance, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 4/13
- NYS Museum, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 4/13
- Doane Stuart School Visit to CNSE, Nanomedicine Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 2/13
- NYS Museum, Nanomedicine Display, Activities & Discussion, Albany, NY 12/12
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/12
- CNSE Children's Museum of Science & Technology (CMOST) NanoCamp, CNSE, Albany, NY 6/12
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/12
- NYS campaign commercial filming with Producer Spike Lee, Albany, NY 4/12
- DigiGirlz Day, UAlbany, Albany 3/12
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 2/12
- "Health Matters" live televised interview with Senator Kemp Hannon, Albany, NY 2/12
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/11
- Children’s Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, Albany, NY 7/11
- Tech Valley High School nanomedicine module, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/11
- Everyday Public Health: A Day in the Life panel, Rensselear, NY 4/11
- Bring our Future to Work Day, NYS Dept. of Labor, Troy, NY 4/11
- NanoDays 2011, New York State Museum, Albany, NY 4/11
- National Nanotechnology Days, Crossgates Mall Exhibit, Albany, NY 3/11
- Girl Scouts “Go Nano!” Program, CNSE, Albany, NY 3/11
- Nanomedicine Display at the New York State Museum, Albany, NY 12/10
- NANOvember Community Day, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/10
- NANOvember Y Nano, NanoHealth & NanoMedicine Activity, Albany, NY 11/10
- MVP Health Care Back to School Expo "Welcome to NanoWorld", Albany, NY 9/10
- Children's Museum of Science & Technology NanoCamp, Troy, NY 7/10, 8/10
- NanoCareer Day, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 5/10
- NanoHigh, Nanomedicine Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 4/10
- National Nanotechnology Days, Crossgates Mall Exhibit, Albany, NY 4/10
- NANOvember Lecture Series, Panelist Week 4, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09
- NANOvember Community Day, Booth/Display & Discussion, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09
- NANOvember Lecture Series, Presenter Week 1, CNSE, Albany, NY 11/09